Edited by Jason Davis, director of the Harlan Ellison Books Preservation Project.
Cover photograph from the collection of Harlan Ellison.
The complete table of contents of the 1975 Pyramid edition of GENTLEMAN JUNKIE and Other Stories of the Hung-Up Generation, with the author’s revisions from the 2014 Subterranean Press hardback:
- Foreword, by Frank M. Robinson
- Introduction: The Children of Nights
- Final Shtick
- Gentleman Junkie
- May We Also Speak? (Four Statements From the Hung-Up Generation [1. Now You’re in the Box 2. The Rocks of Gogroth 3. Payment Returned, Unopened. 4. The Truth ]
- Daniel White for the Greater Good
- Lady Bug, Lady Bug
- Free With This Box!
- There’s One on Every Campus
- At the Mountains of Blindness
- This Is Jackie Spinning
- No Game for Children
- The Late, Great Arnie Draper
- High Dice
- Enter the Fanatic, Stage Center
- Someone Is Hungrier
- Memory of a Muted Trumpet
- Sally in Our Ally
- The Silence of Infidelity
- Have Coolth
- RFD #2 (with Henry Slesar)
- No Fourth Commandment Murder
- The Night of Delicate Terrors
NEW Edgeworks Abbey Archive Content:
Night Fix by Jason Davis
An original essay detailing the history of Ellison’s fifth short story collection.
Selling the Hung-Up Generation: 1961-2014
A compendium of Ellison-written cover copy for 60 years’ worth of GENTLEMAN JUNKIE reissues, including Dorothy Parker’s famous review.
Story Commentary: 1958-2014
Ellison-written introductions and afterwords from THE DEADLY STREETS (unpublished), Rogue magazine, OVER THE EDGE, and JEWISH NOIR.
Ellison’s 1961 Preface
The author’s original preface, omitted from all editions since the first.
Frank Robinson: The Finest Human Being Who Ever Lived (previously uncollected)
Ellison’s 2014 obituary for his friend, who authored the foreword to this collection.
Truth and the Writer, or “I’ve had a fabulous life; all you have to do is write it and I’ll split it with you, fifty-fifty!” (previously uncollected)
Ellison’s 1961 essay for Writer’s Digest, with his 1989 revisions and an introduction, “Grinning at the Kid,” written for that reappearance.
and MORE CONTENT, to be announced closer to publication!
6″ x 9″ Trade Hardcover, approx. 348p. ISBN: 978-1-946542-14-4.